Served warm or cold, this potato salad is unlike any you’ve ever had before! The combination of red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard with a kick of cayenne pepper create a sweet but slightly spicy indulgence.
- 1 ½ lbs assorted mini potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 4 hard cooked eggs, peeled (3 diced and 1 sliced)
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- lettuce leaves (optional)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Place potatoes in a pot with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; season with salt. Reduce heat and simmer until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to large bowl. Cool for 5 minutes and cut in half.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, on medium heat, add onions and butter; cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of water to the skillet and cook until water has evaporated; remove from heat.
- Mustard Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, yellow mustard, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Pour dressing over warm potatoes. Add diced eggs, chives and onions; mix gently. Line platter or serving bowl with lettuce leaves if desired and spoon salad on top; top with sliced eggs. Serve warm or chilled. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Allow an hour to prepare
- Forgot to add water to the onions.