How to eat: a ploughman’s lunch
- Wensleydale: $37.99/kg
- Lancashire: $37.99/kg
- Shropshire Blue: $49.99/kg
- All-Beef Salami: $29.99/kg | May 8, 2021
- Smoked Turkey: $22.00/kg | May 15, 2021
A taste of the Mediterranean in one delicious baked chicken dish. This is a classic Chicken Mirabella recipe.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
Additional: 8 hours
Total: 9 hours 15 minutes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup pitted prunes, halved
- 8 small green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a medium bowl combine the garlic, prunes, olives, capers, olive oil, vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread mixture in the bottom of a 10×15 inch baking dish. Add the chicken pieces, stir and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove dish from refrigerator. Sprinkle brown sugar on top and pour white wine all around chicken.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, spooning juices over chicken several times as it is baking. Serve on a platter, pouring juices over the top, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- 1 lb (455 g) mixed ripe Ontario greenhouse tomatoes (heirlooms can add a punch of colour!)
- 4 Ontario greenhouse mini cucumbers (or 2/3 Ontario greenhouse English cucumber)
- 1 Ontario greenhouse pepper (be as colourful as you want!)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) cubed feta
- 1/2 cup (125mL) Kalamata olives
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut tomatoes into wedges.
- Cut cherry and grape tomatoes in half. Slice cucumbers on bias. (If using English cucumber, halve lengthwise first.)
- Cut pepper into bite-size pieces.
- Place vegetables in large mixing bowl with onion.
- Top with feta and olives
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar.
- Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to serving dish.