PREPARATION: 30 minutes
COOKING: 2 Hours
- 4 veal shank slices, each about 2 inches (5 cm) thick
- Flour, for dusting
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) dry white wine
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) tomatoes
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 lemons, zest finely grated
- 1/4 cup (10 g) parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Dust the veal slices with flour. In a large pot, brown the meat on both sides in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate. In the same pot, soften the onions. Add more oil as needed. Deglaze with the white wine. Add the meat and remaining ingredients. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Reduce the oven to 325°F (165 °C) and bake for 1 hour. Adjust the seasoning.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Spread over the meat. Serve with orzo and zucchini ribbons, if desired.
This was a nice and simple dish to prepare. I would think you should add the meat after the remaining ingredients. And you don’t need that much wine to deglaze the pan.