- 3 tbsp sliced almonds, coarsely crushed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 1 eggplant, about 1 lb. (450 g), cut into large dice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 lb. (225 g) swordfish, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups (420 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 lb. (340 g) busiate, fusilli, trecce or another spiral pasta
- Basil leaves, to taste
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the almonds and garlic in the oil. Add the panko and cook until starting to brown. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown the eggplant in 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the oil until it starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown the swordfish and garlic in the remaining oil. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes or until they start to break down. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking water. Drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the skillet with sauce and toss to combine. Add the reserved cooking water to thin out the sauce, as needed. Adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving dish. Top with the eggplant, basil leaves and almond topping.