- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/3 cup of chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cup of Ommegang Belgian-style Abbey Ale
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds mussels
- Melt butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- When foam subsides, add onions, saute until soft: about 5 minutes.
- Sit in Ommegang, fennels seeds and bay leaf. Add mussels. Cover pan tightly, steam only until mussels open: 3-4 minutes.
- Remove mussels with a slotted spoon to bowls. Discard any mussels with unopened shells. Strain Ommegang juice into bowls.
- Serve with hearty bread.