I talked to John about the Artisanal Chicken Program. He applied as soon as he could and was accepted. Today he had chickens for sale. Currently they are all inside because of the weather but in the summer, they will be pastured.
I asked about what breed they were and he said they were White Leghorns, the most popular breed. I asked if he had thought about rare breeds. He basically said he was too “chicken” to try to breed them.
I do look forward to trying his pasture-raised chickens this summer.
Magnificent: The epitome of potatoes. I love it baked as it has a very tasty skin.
Charlotte: This is the taste standard for potato salad.
Adapted from a recipe by Lady Bird Johnson that I found on a 3×5″ card in the stacks of the LBJ Library in Austin, TX.
Preparation time. 90 minutes
Makes. 12 servings
4 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
Salt to taste
1) Cook the meat, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned.
2) Stir in the oregano, cumin, chile powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, salt and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, skimming off the fat as it cooks
- 2 lbs. potatoes (5 to 6 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 cup Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- (2 Tbsp. vinegar) 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- (1 1/2 tsp. salt) omit
- (1 tsp. sugar) omit
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (optional)
- Cover potatoes with water in 4-quart saucepot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
- Combine Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper in large bowl. Add potatoes, celery, onion and eggs and toss gently. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Allow more than 10 minutes from cold water to boil for hard-boiled eggs.
Don’t just quarter the potatoes, die ’em. I did not peel them, that adds colour.
Think of cheddar cheese to add colour.
Used Balsamic Vinegar and it was great. I recommend this change.
Used fennel instead of celery and that did not add anything.
White Monterey Jack cheese is too flavourless and adds no colour.
This turned out great!
I started with this:
I swapped Taleggio DOP for brie, it is ITALIAN afterall!
I went with the imported prosciutto.
There’s too much oregano, maybe go with “Italian Herbs.”
I wanted to do something different with my leg steaks.
Via Google, I found this:
I made a marinade of garlic, rosemary, 30 mL of olive oil and 30 mL of lemon juice.
I let it rest a bit and then heated a frying pan.
I went 30 seconds for each side on 7 and then 2 minutes a side on 3.
Gail from the Pinot Noir tasting gave me a recipe that my Outlook destroyed.
Here’s Mario Batali’s version:
I should try this. I cannot be that hard and is completely new to my cooking.